Leading off today:
With a 2-15 record over the past two seasons and just 19 players on the field for practices this week, Salem has dropped varsity football for the second time in four years.
Superintendent of Schools David Glover announced on Friday that the school would field only a junior varsity.
"I hate to do it, particularly with those senior kids who won't have that last chance to play football," Glover told The Post-Star. "It was a tough decision-making process, but our total numbers are not enough to warrant two teams, and we want to provide the most kids an opportunity to play."
Glover also said first-year coach Jon Braymer had decided to step down as varsity coach late this week. Fred Truehart will coach Salem's JV team.
Salem's late decision leaves holes in the schedules of several Section 2 Class D opponents, but a few have been able to fill the open dates with Cohoes, a late addition to the varsity ranks this month after itself having played a JV-only schedule last year.
Glover said Salem plans to look at its football future -- including a possible merger with Cambridge -- after this season.
Salem's BEDS number this fall according to the NYSPHSAA is just 142, which is actually up from 118 a year ago and 111 for the 2015 season. A decade ago, the BEDS figure was 200.
Fort Edward/Argyle might also be facing a go/no-go decision before the season kicks off. The Flying Forts have been practicing with just 18 or 19 players, The Post-Star reported.
Changes at Sachem East: Seventh-year head football coach Mark Wojciechowski and an unnamed assistant have been reassigned at Sachem East pending the results of an investigation into the death of junior Joshua Mileto, 16, during a training drill last week, Newsday reported.
According to a statement by Superintendent Kenneth Graham, defensive coordinator Anthony Gambino will serve as the interim coach.
Graham said the team will practice Saturday as it prepares for the upcoming season and that the scheduled opener Sept. 1 at Longwood had been scrapped in order for the team to put in the required number of preseason practices. Sachem East will now open Sept. 9 at home against Lindenhurst.
Wojciechowski did not return the paper's message seeking comment Friday. Wojciechowski, who won Newsday's Hansen Award in 1985 as the best football player in Suffolk County, has not spoken publicly since Mileto's death.
Wrapping up last year: I'd hoped to have the project done to coincide with the start of practices around the state last week, but the New York State Sportswriters Association's